Friday, June 09, 2006

A Night of Poetry

I discovered CAID was scheduled on June 1 hold "A Night of Poetry", readings from local poets that was organized by Christina Kallery, a friend of mine on MySpace. I'm always interested in expanding the type of events that I cover.

In checking into the event I became friends with Norene Cashen, one of the poets reading. She stopped by and we travelled to CAID (which is a bit removed from the Woodward bus corridor). This was definately outside the norm for Norene, she tends to be a quiet person but could sense that I was genuinely interested in the event.

We arrived and I met Nick Sousanis, saw BJ from Real Detroit, and Marty from The Detroit News. I met Christina for the first time as well.

We listened to each poets readings. I stood along a wall and took a few photos of each as they were reading. I probably could have been closer, since the zoom limited me to waist and up photos. I would have liked to capture expressions better. The lighting was a bit stark, as would befit a poetry night. I did take additional photos which appear in the linked article in The Detroiter.

After the readings I talked a bit with Vievee and found that William Copeland is one of her students. I've been fascinated with William's spoken word sessions since seeing him several years ago during an protest march against occupation of Iraq. Then I found William was attending Renaissance Unity and occassionally saw him there. He organized a group called the Longhairz Collective. It was great to meet Vievee and share in knowing what William's been up to.

Norene and I headed back and I extended an invitation to the showing of InZer0 on June 6, which happily she did attend!

No comments: